Katahdin is the main antagonist of the 1979 American horror film Prophecy.
Mutagens used as a fungicide in a Maine forest have resulted in the birth of a horrifically deformed grizzly bear named Katahdin (after a local legendary forest spirit), who goes on a rampage upon reaching adulthood.
Katahdin is an abnormally large bipedal grizzly bear that was born with a horrific birth defect that left the skin on the left side of her body horribly scarred and disfigured. Katahdin is 10.5 feet tall, beeing in fact bigger than a normal grizzly bear, which can reach 9.1 feet.
Powers and Abilities
The Katahdin possesses the following powers and abilities:
- Can hold her breath
- Super Intelligence
- Shut without making any noise
Verne kills Katahdin by stabbing her to death and then drowns her in a lake. However, Katahdin's mate is seen at the end of the film, having survived its events.
- The spirit from which Katahdin takes it name was described as "larger than a dragon with the eyes of a cat."
- This name comes from a mountain in the state of Maine.
- To represent Katahdin in the film they were used three different suits and a puppet. She was portrayed by Tom McLoughlin, Charles Flemmer and Kevin Peter Hall.
- Katahdin is sometimes confused with ManBearPig from South Park.